Friday, October 24, 2008

a tale of a coffee merchant part 2

My acquaintance with the coffee merchant began one day when I was only a youngster. My mother worked as maidservant at a seaside cafe at Silver Sand beach. I used to hang around after school swimming in the ocean among the reefs, collecting rare sea shells, and once in a while trying my luck to hunt for Caribuster. Folks nearby called it fighting prince because it has a belligerent attitude and its pearl-like shell is strikingly beautiful. I can't blame their aggressiveness because they were largely hunted for its highly priced shell and their meat were a delicacy for a king. I apologize for not being clear in what I was talking about. Caribuster is a giant lobster with a unique spear-like head. It can propel itself for approximately 6 feet forward in a harpoon like manner. The adult caribuster can weight up to 7 lbs. Its exoskeleton has a pearl like quality and can fetch good money from the jewel merchant. Supposedly it has some kind of magical property as well but I wouldn't know much about it. To make a long story short, I was trying to catch one of this dreadful creature but it strike me first because I swam to close to its territory. I came home empty handed and an open wound from my left thigh. It just so happened that the coffee merchant was there taking his break on the way to his destination. He offered his assistance to my frantic mother. He took a good look at my wound and took some coffee powder from his bag. Then using only his finger, he mixed it with the extract from an alligator-tongue plant. I know for fact that the plant extract has soothing anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, but the coffee? I have no idea. Well I tell you, my ignorance was quickly enlightened by what I saw. The paste he smeared at my wound stop the bleeding almost instantly leaving only a cooling sense with a slight numb on the area. I got up and didn't even feel any pain. My mother was astonished and the rest was history, literally.

Before he left, we had exchanged many words and he promised to stop by on his way back. He was almost twice my age but he has a vigor of a hunter. My mother sent him away with a bag of house special. At first, he refused to take it but after some time he decided to gave in because no one ever say no to my mother and prevail. The meal was on the house as well. The owner of the keep thought that it was a good entertainment and will help his business. Thanks to the coffee merchant, everyone had a happy ending that day. Everyone, including the caribuster.

No comments: